The American Name Society presents two conferences per year for name scholars, enthusiasts and linguists.
American Name Society Annual Meeting
January 4-7th, 2018 in Salt Lake City, UT
In conjunction with the Linguistic Society of America, the ANS meets once a year for paper presentations, panel discussions, and general camaraderie over food and drinks.
The deadline for receipt of abstracts is June 30, 2017.
Please email this completed ANS 2018 Author Information Sheet to Dr. Dorothy Dodge Robbins [email@example.com].
For organizational purposes, please be sure to include the phrase “ANS 2018” in the subject line of your email.
Presenters who may need additional time to secure international payments and travel visas to the United States are urged to submit their proposal as soon as possible.
All proposals will be subjected to blind review. All authors whose papers have been accepted must be current members of the ANS and need to register with both the ANS and the Linguistic Society of America. Please feel free to contact Dr. Dorothy Dodge Robbins should you have any questions or concerns.
ANS Panel at the Modern Language Association Conference
January 4-7th, 2018 in New York, NY
The American Name Society is inviting abstract proposals for a panel with the literary theme “Literary Wordplay with Names.” Case studies in world literature have repeatedly demonstrated the effectiveness of wordplays in producing puns or highlighting aspects of a narrative. However, comparatively little scholarly attention has been given to examining the names themselves as a rhetorical tool for literary wordplay. Interested authors are encouraged to submit an abstract examining the use of any type of name (e.g. personal names, place names, trade names, etc.) in literary wordplays for any period or genre of literature. Submissions utilizing interdisciplinary approaches are most welcome.
Proposal submission process:
- Abstracts proposals of up to 400 words should be sent as an email attachment (PDF format) to Andreas Gavrielatos (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Proposals should include “MLA proposal” in the subject line of the email.
- 3. All submissions must include an abstract title, the full name(s) of the author(s), the author affiliation, and email address in the body of the email and NOT with the abstract.
- Proposals must be received by 5pm GMT on 11 March 2017. Authors will be notified about results of the blind review on or by 20 March 2017.
- 5. Contributors selected for the thematic panel must be members of both MLA and ANS in order to present their papers.
- 6. For further information, please contact Andreas Gavrielatos (email@example.com).
Past ANS Conferences
For programs from past American Name Society conferences, click here.
Other Onomastic Conferences
For other onomastic conferences, click here.