The American Name Society presents two conferences per year for name scholars, enthusiasts and linguists.
American Name Society Annual Meeting
January 3-6, 2019 in New York, NY at the Sheraton New York Times Square
In conjunction with the Linguistic Society of America, the ANS meets once a year for paper presentations, panel discussions, and general camaraderie over food and drinks.
Stay tuned for more information, including the general call for papers!
Call for Papers: 2019 ANS Conference Special Panel on Literary Names
The ANS is inviting abstract submissions for a panel on Literary Names for the 2019 annual conference to be held in conjunction with the Linguistic Society of America. The purpose of the panel is to highlight research in, and study of, names in works of fiction.
All professional names enthusiasts are invited to submit an abstract for a 20-minute presentation. Abstract proposals should answer one or more of the following questions:
- How do the texts under analysis make use of onomastics to establish and convey character and/or plot?
- How does linguistic analysis bear on the reading of these texts?
- How is the field of onomastics enhanced by your research?
To submit a proposal, simply send a 250-word abstract proposal and a 100- word professional biography to Susan Behrens [email@example.com] by the 15th of July 2018. For organizational purposes, please be sure to include the phrase “ANS 2019 Panel” in the subject line of your email.
All proposals will be subjected to blind review. Official notification of proposal acceptances will be sent on or before September 30, 2018. All authors whose papers have been accepted must be current members of the ANS and need to register with both the ANS and the Linguistic Society of America. Please feel free to contact Susan Behrens should you have any questions or concerns.
We look forward to receiving your submission!
ANS Panel at the Modern Language Association Conference
January 3-6th, 2019 in Chicago, IL
The American Name Society is inviting abstract proposals for a panel with the literary theme “Borrowed Names and interactions in Literature.” Literary interactions between authors have always been of great interest in Literary Studies and Literary Theory. Influences, allusions, and intertexts can significantly affect the onomastic choices of an author and result in name borrowings. The papers of this panel will focus either on examples of these practices, thus contributing to the understanding of specific naming choices, or on the role of literary onomastics in theories of intertextuality, allusion, etc.
Proposal submission process:
- Abstracts proposals of up to 400 words should be sent as an email attachment (PDF format) to Dr. Andreas Gavrielatos (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Proposals should include “MLA proposal” in the subject line of the email.
- All submissions must include an abstract title, the full name(s) of the author(s), the author affiliation, and email address in the body of the email and NOT with the abstract.
- DEADLINE: Proposals must be received by 5pm GMT on 31 March 2018. Authors will be notified about results of the blind review on or by 30 March 2018.
- Contributors selected for the thematic panel must be members of both MLA and ANS in order to present their papers.
- 6. For further information, please contact Dr. Andreas Gavrielatos (email@example.com).