The American Name Society presents two conferences per year for name scholars, enthusiasts and linguists.
American Name Society Annual Meeting
January 4-7th, 2018 in Salt Lake City, UT
In conjunction with the Linguistic Society of America, the ANS meets once a year for paper presentations, panel discussions, and general camaraderie over food and drinks.
Meeting registration and hotel reservations will open September 1. Meeting registration will be open through December 15, and hotel reservations through December 13.
Preregistration information is available at the LSA website. ANS members can register at LSA member rates, in one of two ways:
1. If you’re already an LSA member, you can log in to the LSA website and simply register for the meeting using the instructions provided at the link above.
2. If you’re not an LSA member, you can register as nonmembers, and use the following coupon codes at checkout to reduce the nonmember rates to the member rates: SISTER2018REGULAR for nonstudent attendees and SISTER2018STUDENT for student attendees.
To register for the ANS Conference, download, complete, and send in the ANS 2018 Conference Registration Form and payment through email or post. Deadline is November 30th, 2017.
ANS Registration Fees
Member – $20
Emeritus/Spouse/Guest/Student – $10
Optional dinner registration – $35
ANS Panel at the Modern Language Association Conference
January 4-7th, 2018 in New York, NY
The American Name Society is inviting abstract proposals for a panel with the literary theme “Literary Wordplay with Names.” Case studies in world literature have repeatedly demonstrated the effectiveness of wordplays in producing puns or highlighting aspects of a narrative. However, comparatively little scholarly attention has been given to examining the names themselves as a rhetorical tool for literary wordplay. Interested authors are encouraged to submit an abstract examining the use of any type of name (e.g. personal names, place names, trade names, etc.) in literary wordplays for any period or genre of literature. Submissions utilizing interdisciplinary approaches are most welcome.
Proposal submission process:
- Abstracts proposals of up to 400 words should be sent as an email attachment (PDF format) to Andreas Gavrielatos (email@example.com)
- Proposals should include “MLA proposal” in the subject line of the email.
- 3. All submissions must include an abstract title, the full name(s) of the author(s), the author affiliation, and email address in the body of the email and NOT with the abstract.
- Proposals must be received by 5pm GMT on 11 March 2017. Authors will be notified about results of the blind review on or by 20 March 2017.
- 5. Contributors selected for the thematic panel must be members of both MLA and ANS in order to present their papers.
- 6. For further information, please contact Andreas Gavrielatos (firstname.lastname@example.org).