American Name Society Annual Meeting
The next meeting will be in New Orleans, Louisiana, at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside, 2-5 January 2020
In conjunction with the Linguistic Society of America, the ANS meets once a year for paper presentations, panel discussions, and general camaraderie over food and drinks.
Registration will open in the fall of 2019.
Steps to Register:
LSA Registration Fees
|Preregistration (through December 19)
Nonmember Regular $385
Nonmember Student $165
|Late/Onsite (after December 19)
Nonmember Regular $485
Nonmember Student $202
One-day Rate: $85
ANS Registration Fees
Member – $20
Emeritus/Spouse/Guest/Student – $10
ANS members may also take advantage of the hotel room rates negotiated by the LSA at the Sheraton New York Times Square. The special LSA room rates for the 2019 Annual Meeting at Single/Double: $149/night, Triple: $179/night; Quad: $209/night. Reservations will be available from September 1 through December 3, 2018 or until the LSA block of rooms has been filled. Use this special LSA link to get the discounted rates.
ANS Panel at the Modern Language Association Conference
January 9-12th, 2020 in Seattle, WA
The American Name Society is inviting abstract proposals for a panel with the literary theme “Semantic relations and personal names.” Names have meanings. They bear specific semantic connotations that, albeit forgotten by their users, are exploited by authors to evoke subsequent layers of interpretation. Papers of this panel will explore this practice and investigate how meanings of names are employed and to what ends, with a focus either on specific authors or with a broader scope. Examples of themes that can be addressed may be semantics of names in literary theory, name choices due to semantic connotations, intertextual relations based on the meaning of names, etc.
For more information about MLA 2020, check out the official website.
Proposal submission process:
- Abstracts proposals of up to 400 words should be sent as an email attachment (PDF format) to Dr. Andreas Gavrielatos (email@example.com).
- Proposals should include “MLA proposal” in the subject line of the email.
- All submissions must include an abstract title, the full name(s) of the author(s), the author affiliation, and email address in the body of the email and NOT with the abstract.
- DEADLINE: Proposals must be received by 5pm GMT on 31 March 2019. Authors will be notified about results of the blind review on or by 03 April 2019.
- Contributors selected for the thematic panel must be members of both MLA and ANS in order to present their papers.
- For further information, please contact Dr A. Gavrielatos (firstname.lastname@example.org).