American Name Society Annual Meeting
The next meeting will be in San Francisco, California, at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis, 7-10 January 2021.
In conjunction with the Linguistic Society of America, the ANS meets once a year for paper presentations, panel discussions, and general camaraderie over food and drinks.
Registration will open in September.
ANS Panel at the Modern Language Association Conference
January 7-10, 2021 in Toronto, Canada
TOPONYMS AND LITERARYSCAPES
Although toponyms are often taken for granted in our daily lives, they bear considerable potential for acquiring personal and social meanings depending on their contexts and co-texts of use. These multi-layered meanings are often utilized by authors as a literary resource to evoke associations or invoke evaluative positioning. Papers accepted for this panel will explore how the meaning potential of place-names—be they real or fictional—is effectively harnessed to shape literary settings within specific works or by specific authors. Examples of themes that can be addressed include toponyms choice/invention and their connotations; toponyms in translation; toponyms in literary theory; and toponyms and intertextuality.
For more information about MLA 2021, check out the official website.
Proposal submission process:
- Abstracts proposals (350 words) should be sent as an email attachment (PDF format) to Dr. Luisa Caiazzo (email@example.com)
- Proposals should include “MLA 2021 proposal” in the subject line of the email;
All submissions must include an abstract title, the full name(s) of the author(s), the author(s) affiliation(s), and email address(s) in the body of the email and NOT with the abstract
- DEADLINE: Proposals must be received by 8pm GMT on 31 March 2020. Authors will be notified about the results of the blind review on or by 3 April 2020
- Contributors selected for the thematic panel must be members of both MLA and ANS in order to present their papers
- For further information, please contact Dr. Luisa Caiazzo (firstname.lastname@example.org).