From Dr. Federica Formato:
Please find below all information about this year’s BAAL SIG (British Association of Applied Linguistics Special Interest Group) in Language, Gender and Sexuality.
BAAL LGaS SIG 2023
2 May 2023 – University of Brighton
Call for papers
We are delighted to announce the call for papers for the BAAL LGaS 2023 to take place at the University of Brighton on 2 May 2023. Brighton is recognized as the unofficial LGBTQIA+ capital of the United Kingdom, making it the perfect place to gather and reflect on aspects of language, gender and sexuality. The topic of this year’s event is Dismantling the CIS-tem: queer and trans perspectives on language, gender, and sexuality.
The keynote speakers are:
- Lucy Jones, Associate Professor in Sociolinguistics at the University of Nottingham
- Alon Lischinsky, Senior Lecturer in Communication & Discourse at Oxford Brookes University
The one-day symposium will include presentations on the theme of the conference. For instance, we invite contributions on topics such as:
- Media representation of queer identities and or LGBTQIA communities
- Language ideologies, e.g., inclusive language
- Language, gender and sexuality in politics
- Historical perspectives
- Analysis of communication in a variety of genres and spaces (e.g., literature, social media)
Each paper will be allocated 30 minutes (20 presentation, 10 Q&A). The contributions should not exceed 300 words (references excluded) and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 February 2023.