ANS Name of the Year Discussion and Vote
Join us for our annual Name of the Year discussion! We will be nominating, discussing, and voting on eligible names in the following categories:
- Personal Names: Names of groups or individuals, including nicknames, given names, surnames, or a combination of these.
- Place Names: Names or nicknames of any real geographical locations (e.g., rivers, lakes, mountains, streets, buildings, regions, countries, etc.).
- Brand Names: Names of commercial products, companies, organizations, and businesses (both for-profit and non-profit). This category includes personal names used as brands for commerce.
- Artistic/Literary Names: Names of fictional persons, places, or institutions, in any written, oral, or visual medium (e.g., titles of art or musical works, books, plays, tv programs, movies, games, etc.).
- E-Names: Names of online platforms, websites, and movements, as well as hashtags, usernames, etc.
- Miscellaneous Names: Names that do not fit in any of the above five categories.
The discussion will be conducted by Laurel Sutton, ANS President and Name of the Year Coordinator.
If you have not done so already, you can nominate names via this form
Advance nominations must be received no later than December 31st, 2023, at midnight Pacific.
The URL to our Zoom room will be sent to everyone who registers for this event.
Please review previous Name of the Year reports, to better understand the type of names that will be accepted:
Our first conference of the year will take place February 17, 2024, over Zoom. It will be a one day event. More details, including the price of attendance, will be available soon!