Research questions in this workshop include but are not limited to the following topics:
- Promotion and erasure of toponymical repertoires;
- Processes of Turkification & modes of resistance;
- Ottoman, néo-Ottoman, national and post-national historiographies;
- Actors involved in place naming: National leaders and cults of personality, role of the bureaucracy & local administrations, private sector, civil society, political parties;
- Gender and naming policies;
- Geographies of trauma & archaeologies of violence in the politics of naming;
- Methodologies and sources: archives, oral history, official and alternative cartographies;
- Labelling, marketization, commodification;
- Technologies of power & regime change;
- Time scales, moments of change and transition in place naming
The first day of the workshop is open to the public (program).
The second day is reserved to invited guests.