The American Name Society requests nominations for the “Names of the Year for 2022”. The names selected will be ones that best reflect important trends in US American society and demonstrate significant linguistic features through their formation and/or application. It is not necessary, however, for a nominated name to have originated in the US. Any name can be nominated as long as it has been prominent in US American cultural discourse during the past year.
Nominations are called for the following categories:
- Personal Names: Names of individuals or groups of people.
- Place Names: Names or nicknames of any real geographical location, including all natural features, political subdivisions, streets, and buildings. Names of national or ethnic groups based on place names could be included here.
- Trade Names: Names of commercial products, as well as names of both for-profit and non-profit companies, organizations, and businesses.
- Artistic & Literary Names: Names of fictional persons, places, or institutions, in any written, oral, or visual medium, as well as titles of art works, books, plays, television programs, movies, etc.
- E-Names: Names of persons, figures, places, products, businesses, institutions, operations, organizations, platforms, and movements that exist in the virtual world.
- Miscellaneous Names: Names that do not fit in the above five categories.
Winners will be chosen in each category, and then a final vote will determine the overall Name of the Year for 2021. Anyone may nominate a name. All ANS members attending the annual meeting on January 20-22 2023 will select the winner from among the nominees.
Advance nominations must be received before January 15, 2023. Nominations will be accepted from the floor at the annual meeting. You can also send your nominations, along with a brief rationale, by email to Deborah Walker: email@example.com.
Thank you for your nominations!